Features and Specifications
HGTV Ultimate Home Design is meant to help you take an idea and turn it into real life application. It has a huge assortment of tools, so you can design in ways you never thought possible. From putting up walls to changing countertop textures and wall colors, here are some of the best ways HGTV Ultimate Home Design can make your dreams come true in a jiffy:
- Kitchen wizard: The kitchen wizard is indispensable since this is one of the hardest rooms of the house to design.
- Deck designer
- Bathroom designer: Another difficult redesign, the bathroom involves lots of piping, tiling, and electric work. That’s why a design wizard for this room is so important. The HGTV Ultimate Home Design bathroom wizard is excellent, giving you tons of options, suggestions, and advice to make the project go smoothly.
- Image importer: In addition to the wizards, homeowners can import images of their current home if they want to work off of those dimensions or layouts.
- 2 and 3D rendering: The 2D rendering is good if you want just to get a general idea of what the finished project will look like on paper. Alternatively, you can browse the entire redesign with a 3D rendering.
- Cost estimator: This is definitely one of the most brilliant features of the best home design software A cost estimator tallies your project costs with every addition or change you make. You can actually see in real time what the project is going to cost you, and you can make adjustments as you go along to stay within budget on the spot. If you are thinking of asking for a home equity loan, this tool will give you a real-life estimate of what type of credit you are going to be looking at.
- Object library: There are thousands of images available in the HGTV Ultimate Home Design object library, so you can really get a good idea of different design elements and styles. Additionally, this software has the biggest landscaping image library on the market, boasting an impressive 7,500 images of flowers, shrubs, trees, fountains, waterfalls, barbecues, and other outdoor accessories.
Ease of Use
The HGTV Ultimate Home design software is really easy to use. It is designed so that even a beginner can sit down with it and get started right away. In fact, you could have a general mockup within a few minutes of starting.
If you want to design your own house, simply select one of the prefab floor plans. Once chosen, you can edit various details of the plan such as adding furniture items, painting the walls, and putting in various flooring and materials. You can choose from the tremendous image library to see what different types of flooring, appliances, and paint colors will look like when combined in this space.
Drawbacks and Limitations
The HGTV Ultimate Home Design program only comes with nine sample floor plans. This is extremely limited compared to others in its field. That’s only half the picture, however. While there are only nine built-in plans to choose from, the program allows you to access and import thousands of additional floor plans off of the internet, so this might be an unfair claim that’s being put onto a great software.
The software comes with a free trial download. The actual version costs less than $75, and that’s an industry low.
The HGTV Ultimate Home Design customer support is not as extensive as it is in most other software options. You can certainly find a lot of the answers to your questions in the FAQ section located on the manufacturer’s website, but it isn’t a full community or group forum like you often get with other programs.
Additionally, you have email support, so you can send in questions if no answer is available online. But you’ll need to pay an extra fee in order to actually speak to a customer service rep on the phone.
Bottom line, HGTV Ultimate Home Design is a good tool for beginners. While it doesn’t have the robust features and functionality that some of the more professional options serve up, there is plenty of performance power, and it will get the job done for most homeowners and projects out there.