Features and Specifications
Features are what separate one home design software from the next. And when it comes to features, Home Designer Interiors certainly has a lot to brag about. Here are a few of the many outstanding elements from one of the best home design software options:
- Auto dimensions: A simple tool that makes a world of difference for anyone designing a floor plan. Auto dimensions measure the area and give precise lines and sections, so there’s no need to play around to get it just right.
- Style templates: Sometimes you know what you want, and other times, you just don’t. Templates come in an assortment of styles for floors, windows, doors, colors, and cabinets.
- Image library: Thousands of images are available in the library from furniture to appliances, wall, floor, and surface materials, and cabinet faces. The library even includes brand names to browse, and planners can utilize pre-arranged furniture grouping for easy layout options.
- Detail editor: Lets you change color, material, and size of objects to your specifications.
- Floor plan importer: Homeowners can also scan and import existing floor plans to work directly off of. This feature is not usually available for a simple program, putting Home Designer Interiors a mark above the rest in its class.
- Color blending: This tool will help to get a better feel for what options are available on the various color palettes within the design.
- Cost calculator: Possibly one of the most valuable tools when looking to design your own house, a cost calculator will help you stay on budget and show where to cut back on spending.
- Virtual walkthrough: Once the design is complete, you can take a virtual tour of what the area is going to look like when it’s done.
- High-quality 3D rendering: Truly separates this software from others in its category. Precision, detail, and overall caliber of the final drafts are beyond expectation.
Ease of Use
Since this application is geared solely towards interior design, the format is simple and easy to navigate. The most commonly used tools are neatly presented at the top of the page for easy referencing, and homeowners can choose whether to start with a fresh board or use one of the pre-defined templates that are included.
If you are really not sure where to start, the design wizard will help guide you in the right direction. That, in combination with the video tutorials and user manuals, make Home Designer Interiors a cinch to master.
Drawbacks and Limitations
We really enjoyed using the Home Designer Interiors software. The application lacks the robust tool sets of the more advanced versions/brands, but still offers quite a lot of features that make it enjoyable.
Of course, the main drawback of this software is that it doesn’t have any landscaping tools. Most homeowners are looking for an all-inclusive tool so they can sketch out their entire property at a go, and not need to juggle between platforms for various areas of their house. Interestingly enough, while you can’t design the exterior of your home, the Home Designer Interiors image library contains more than 400 plants to browse. These items can be placed inside or outside your home within the floor plans. Additionally, there are deck plans that can be used to design a deck feature.
If you aren’t concerned with the outdoor design, though, Home Designer Interiors is an excellent option that packs plenty of usability, functionality, and variety into a smart and easy to use option.
The Home Designer Interiors home design software is available with an unlimited free trial. It doesn’t provide access to all features, but you can use it for as long as you’d like without paying, so you can get a good idea of what you’ll be paying for.
The list price is $79.99, and it’s available for $59.99 on Amazon. Once again, if you don’t need the landscaping tools, then it’s worthwhile saving the money on this less expensive but still versatile version.
As with all the Chief Architect products, the Home Designer Interiors software comes with a wide range of support material. There are in-depth instruction guides that walk you through every stage of the process, and the video tutorials will leave nothing unexplained.
For a more human touch, users can reach out to customer service reps who are available via email or phone.
Home Designer Interiors affords any home designer a rich depth of features and functionality. Although you won’t be able to design your sprawling lawn, the options available for styling, remodeling, constructing, and fine-tuning any interior rooms are tremendous and all on the most professional level. If you want to design your own house with ease and professionalism, this is a great way to go.