Features and Specifications
Both versions of the TurboFloorPlan Home & Landscape home design software come with an impressive number of features geared towards giving homeowners as much design power as they could ask for. Here are a few of the more useful/impressive tools:
- QuickStart: This feature lets you design instantly without any design experience whatsoever. The tool automates the process, offers prefab templates to follow, color-codes the designs per room for easy referencing, and has clear labels so you can understand every aspect of the design. This is probably the most useful feature for someone who hasn’t worked with this type of software before.
- Floor Plan Trace: This feature allows you to scan a version of your existing property into the computer to work from directly. This is incredibly useful because it saves the time and effort of drafting out a new floor plan and gives the exact dimensions and layout so you can dive right into designing.
- On the spot floor plan generator: This is invaluable since most people don’t want to wait to see what their designs will materialize as. It also helps to clarify what a design aspect will look like and whether it’s a good idea within the overall layout.
- Importer: Import objects, paint colors, wallpaper, tiles, carpets, furniture, appliances, plants, and more into the library.
- Curved walls: While it doesn’t sound impressive, this is a really unique feature that allows you to add depth and originality to your home design.
The software also provides color boards, material editors, cost estimators, hundreds of cabinet combinations, and a library with 1,000s of images to choose from. This makes it a cinch to design living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, kitchens, outdoor landscaping, and decks.
Ease of Use
TurboFloorPlan Home & Landscape is designed for beginners, and feature-rich enabled for those who are more experienced, making it one of the best home design software options on the market. Both versions include autosizing for small details, angles, and walls. There are also more advanced features that add a lot of value to the Pro version, like sun position calculating (so you can see what the design will look like at different parts of the day/year), a growth tool for plants that shows how landscaping options will develop, and zone-specific plant selection to make it easy to choose the right types of flowers, shrubs, and trees for each area.
Initial setup is a simple task; it only took us about ten minutes altogether and drawing up a floor plan took less than an hour. The simple drag and drop functionality makes using the software a breeze. You literally click on an image, drag it, and drop it into the location you want. TurboFloorPlan Home & Landscape has templates for beginners, but more advanced users can take these templates and manipulate them to work better with their design. Of course, you can build your own from scratch as well, and the software allows you to adjust room dimensions, add beams, columns, and even roofing features so that you can design your own house without any previous knowledge.
Drawbacks and Limitations
Clearly, TurboFloorPlan Home & Landscape has a lot to offer. Of course, no software is without its flaws. For one, you can’t browse color palettes from a variety of paint manufacturers as you can with other brands.
Other limitations are mainly subject to the Deluxe version, and upgrading to Pro will give you the more advanced features you’re looking for. For example, when 3D modeling, the Deluxe version doesn’t offer additions like columns, footings, and surfaces, while the Pro version does. A few landscaping tools like irrigation and 3D terrain editing are also missing from Deluxe. The Pro version also works on OS X or later.
Both the TurboFloorPlan Home & Landscape Pro and Deluxe versions are free to try, offering a 15-day free trial. Some features are limited in the free version, and you’ll have to pay to unlock all functionality. The Deluxe version goes for $49.99, and the Pro version costs $99.99, but both can be found on Amazon for less.
TurboFloorPlan Home & Landscape comes with a tremendous library of over 100 video tutorials as well as an in-depth manual, leaving little that you won’t be able to find an answer to on your own. Also, the Tips & Tricks tool gives on-the-spot design tips about each feature or area you’re designing.
If you still want to reach out for assistance, TurboFloorPlan Home & Landscape offers phone or email support, and staff is knowledgeable, friendly, and fast from our experience.
In short, TurboFloorPlan Home & Landscape is one of the best home design software brands we’ve reviewed to date. It has a tremendous variety of features, is easy to use, and is reasonably priced for what you get.