Meal delivery services are growing in popularity around the globe as people start to see the number of benefits they can provide. Those with particular dietary needs may dismiss them owing to the incorrect presumption that meal delivery services don’t cater to special diets.
However, there is a number that most certainly do and here we look at the best vegetarian meal delivery plans that are available on the market at the moment. We then look in more depth at what benefits the best vegetarian meal delivery companies can provide its customers – some, like saving money, will surprise.
If you don’t have a special dietary requirement, meal delivery services are still a fantastic option for many people for many reasons. Read which ones we rate as the best.
The Best Vegetarian Meal Delivery Service Providers
Here we list the top three best vegetarian meal delivery companies and kits. We demonstrate that vegetarian meal delivery plans are a very realistic proposition for those who love to eat and eat well.
#1 Sun Basket
Imagine not having to worry about how many calories are in each dish that you eat on a daily basis. This is now possible thanks to Sun Basket’s Lean & Clean menu. Now imagine all of that while feeling nourished and satisfied. Deciding to go lean with your meals can be easy but sticking to the plan is much harder. This is often because as soon as you have eaten you feel as though you could eat at least two more servings.
Sun Basket offers dishes with no gluten or dairy and about 550 calories per serving. You can choose from meals including two-bean sloppy joe wraps with mushroom and tangy coleslaw, sole arrabbiata and squash ribbon salad, steak salad with summer squash and red pepper vinaigrette, and shichimi-spiced salmon with blistered tomato and black-eyed pea salad. The last option has as little as 330 calories per serving.
The great thing is that there are so many options to choose from on a weekly basis, and on their website you can actually select to view all the dishes under 600 calories that are on offer for that week. If you have other dietary restrictions Sun Basket also give solutions for those people that are looking for paleo, vegan, diabetes-friendly and under twenty-minute cooking options.
There is also help and support on offer via a few channels. The first is the in-depth blog on their website called “The Sun Times”, where you can discover information such as how to update your profile information, choose a meal plan and customize your recipe selection. There is also an FAQ section available or you can contact customer support by filling in an online form or calling their support number.
Sun Basket is one of the few meal delivery companies that give back to the community through local food banks and employee programs. Working in cooperation with Feeding America, you can donate meals to those who are in need of them most. Take part in Sun Basket’s meal delivery service and make sure weight loss is never an issue again.
Cost: From $10.99 per serving
For more information on Sun Basket, read our extensive Sun Basket review.
You don’t have to bend over backwards searching for new and exciting ways to implement your vegetarian lifestyle. With Purple Carrot you can choose from six weekly recipes that are easy to cook and, best of all, they’re delicious. Simply select the two or six serving plan and get weekly deliveries of fresh produce to your door. Your account on their website is easy to navigate and you will have no problem skipping weeks or even cancelling your subscription.
- How Does It Work? Purple Carrot makes sure that you receive perfectly portioned ingredients which minimizes waste together with simple to read and follow recipes. Additionally, on their website, you can find how-to videos that will improve your skills in the kitchen. They are a strictly plant-based meal company, so selecting a vegetarian diet won’t be necessary.
- What Else Do I Need To Know? If you are just starting to discover the benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle, but don’t have the time for elaborate meals you can choose from their Quick and Easy meals that will take around half an hour to prepare. Alternatively, if you want to impress friends and family with your vegetarian cuisine skills, you can, by choosing the Chef’s Choice menu. This option will equip you with mouthwatering ingredients and recipes that are created by professional chefs.
- What Other Benefits Does Purple Carrot Have? You don’t have to limit yourself to dinner recipes only, instead, you can order extras including fun breakfast and lunch menus. Recipes are available online should you lose your instructions. You can check out the large selection of recipes on their website, finding options based on ingredients, dish types, cuisine types, dietary concerns and many more.
An extra benefit for those looking to get a taste of Purple Carrot is that you receive a generous 20% discount. All you have to do is sign up with an email address on their website.
Purple Carrot is one of the best vegetarian meal delivery services because they make it their business to deliver the best plant-based recipes with fresh ingredients to your door weekly.
Cost: from $7.99 per serving.
For more information on Purple Carrot read our extensive Purple Carrot review.
HelloFresh is a great value for money meal delivery service that is easily one of the best vegetarian meal delivery companies on the market. Despite it’s a great value, it continually is able to provide high-quality meals each week. For vegetarians, in particular, it is great as it has a dedicated service called the Veggie Plan.
- How Does It Work? Customers sign up to Hello Fresh subscription service and, as they are vegetarian, need to choose the Veggie Plan. HelloFresh then provides a selection of delicious recipes each week that have a huge variety given that the company draws on inspiration from cuisines around the world. They really prove that Vegetarian eating does not have to be boring and just variations on a veggie casserole each evening. Each week, HelloFresh delivers a package of food to your door with all the ingredients that you need.
- What Else Do I Need To Know? One area that HelloFresh really shines, other than its inexpense, is that it has incredibly straightforward recipes that customers can follow with ease thanks to step by step instructions with pictures. Even those that have barely set foot in a kitchen will be able to follow a HelloFresh recipe to produce a delicious and nutritious vegetarian meal.
- What Other Benefits Does HelloFresh have? We really like that HelloFresh offers customers the opportunity to sign up to its wine club at the same time as subscribing to its meal delivery services. This means the company pairs wine with your meals that it thinks will enhance the food you have cooked as well as making the wine you are sent taste even better too.
Finally, HelloFresh offers a further discount to students with 10% off the subscription price. It makes it even cheaper than it already is and means that baked beans on toast do not have to be the backbone meal for a person in full-time education.
HelloFresh is one of our preferred suppliers of vegetarian meals because of its dedication to keeping costs low while providing a range of recipes that will tantalize taste buds week and week again. If Home Chef is out of your budget or does not deliver to your area, then this is an excellent alternative.
Cost: from $8.74 per serving
For more information on Hello Fresh read our extensive Hello Fresh review.
#4 Green Chef
Green Chef is one of the best vegetarian meal delivery services as it recognizes that such a huge portion of the population has specific dietary needs, like vegetarians. In fact, it actually caters successfully to a whole host of other diets too, but that does not mean it has not spent the time creating a large number of recipes with veggies in mind.
- How Does It Work? From the outset, customers choose a plan that’s right for them. For those who don’t eat meat, they can pick vegetarian though there are other options available too that may work like pescatarian. From there, Green Chef then delivers its customers a box of ingredients every week or every two or four weeks depending on the customer’s requirements. There’s no minimum commitment so customers can skip orders should they want. This flexibility is also built into the subscription plan itself which is quick and easy to change or cancel should a customer need or want. Inside each box are organic ingredients that are prepped and pre-measured. Some sauces are pre-made too as are marinades and spice blends. Recipe cards are also included and everything is boxed up in a container that keeps ingredients cool.
- What Else Do I Need To Know? For those with veggie requirements, this is one of the best vegetarian meal delivery services out there. Not only are vegetables organic, but the company also ensures that there is more than just a salad to prepare at each meal time. Their recipes are one of the most creative out there yet are easy to follow with step by step photos included on recipe cards.
- What Other Benefits Do Green Chef have? Green Chef is green in more ways than one. Not only does it provide brilliant vegetarian recipes to its customers, it also provides sustainably sourced ingredients to make those very recipes with. If you are concerned about your effect on the environment then this is simply the best vegetarian meal delivery company for you.
Lastly, what we loved about Green Chef, regardless of dietary requirement, was the fact that the portion sizes that the recipes tend to produce are big enough to provide an extra serving at the end of the meal. This is something that most meal delivery services do not do as a way to cut waste but also to increase their revenue too.
Green Chef is a fantastic option for those in need of one of the best vegetarian meal delivery services due to its extensive range of recipes that will please even the pickiest of eaters.
Cost: From $11.99 per serving
#5 Sun Basket
This is one of the best meal delivery services when it comes to those wanting to stick to a vegetarian diet. There are so many exciting and exotic recipes on offer that even your friends will be impressed when you call them over for dinner. On top of that, all of the ingredients are organic.
- How Does It Work? You can sign up for the Classic Menu, which allows you to choose from 18 recipes on a weekly basis for either two or four people and will ensure you get three recipes delivered weekly. The vegetarian option is also possible with the Family Menu which caters to either two, three or four recipes for four people. You can choose from six recipes from that week which include dishes like Tokyo fried rice with togarashi edamame and corn, fresh pappardelle with wilted greens, hazelnuts and ricotta salata or chilaquiles verdes with soft-scrambled eggs, avocado, and queso fresco.
- What Else Do I Need To Know? Dinner is not the only dish on the menu. You also have breakfast items, salads, snacks, soups, broths, and sauces on offer. This is a meal delivery option for people looking to broaden their horizons in the kitchen. By no means will you find traditional recipes here, but rather new and exciting ways to adhere to a vegetarian lifestyle.
- What Other Benefits Does Sun Basket Have? One of the best things that Sun Basket offers is the choice to select the day your meals arrive. Not only do you have the choice of a couple of weekdays (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday), but you can also opt to have your box delivered on Sunday. This is perfect for people spending the whole day in an office and worried about their food staying on their front porch for eight hours.
Sun Basket try their best to work with seasonal produce and this is another reason as to why we love this meal delivery service. Working in cooperation with the best ranchers, fishermen, and farmers in the country, Sun Basket offers a meal delivery solution whilst treating the planet with respect.
Sun Basket is an optimal choice to bring excitement into your daily dishes while looking after the environment.
Cost: From $10.99 per serving
For more information on Sun Basket read our extensive Sun Basket review.
Creative recipes In combination with organic produce is a difficult combination to beat – try now with Sun Basket, with $40 off your first order.
The Benefits of Using a Vegetarian Meal Delivery Service
Most people start using a Vegetarian meal delivery service to save time. This is because having a vegetarian meal kit delivered to your door each and every week stops you from having to visit the grocery store as well as preparation times being cut in half. However, there’s more to the best vegetarian meal delivery services than immediately meets the eye. In fact, customers often see the following benefits too:
- Save Money – It may not seem it at first, given that the cost per serving can seem quite steep when first started, but the best vegetarian meal delivery services will actually end up saving its customers money. There are a couple of reasons for this. First off, the kits totally reduce waste. You only ever use what you need and what you are sent. The bi-product of this is that you don’t throw out food that you have paid for that you don’t or cannot eat due to them going bad. Secondly, by stopping us from going to the supermarket, we end up not buying the goods that we never needed in the first place.
- Learn New Recipes – Meal delivery services are great at either teaching an old dog new tricks or teaching a kitchen novice many different recipes. It can be a fantastic way of trying out new and wonderful techniques of cooking that can produce fantastic results. So often, because it is easier, we revert to cooking a small selection of meals each week, a meal delivery kit stops this from happening. In fact, it makes life so much easier in the process too.
- Vary Your Diet – A common misconception about vegetarians is that they have a healthy diet. While vegetables are undoubtedly good for you, it doesn’t necessarily follow that all a vegetarian eats is a plate of crudites. In fact, they are more likely to reach into the cookie tin as meals that are low in protein (which a vegetarian meal so often is) do not sustain our hunger as much. With one of the best vegetarian delivery services above, customers not only will have a varied diet due to the large selection of recipes on offer, but they will also have a diet that meets their nutritional requirements as well.
The Bottom Line
Choosing a meal delivery service when you are vegetarian can be an excellent idea. Not only does it mean that a company takes care of doing all your grocery shopping for you, as well as doing a large amount of your food preparation, you also know that you are going to be eating food that provides you with everything your body needs. The best vegetarian meal delivery services introduce well-balanced recipes into a customer’s lives as well as satiating their appetite and taste buds.
Plus, they more often than not do so at a price that is not only affordable but at a price that will end up saving its customers money. In addition to this is the added bonus that meal delivery services save people time by delivering ingredients to a customer’s door so that they do not have to traipse around a grocery store looking for particular ingredients.