However, there is a number that most certainly do and here we look at the best vegetarian meal delivery plans that are available on the market at the moment. We then look in more depth at what benefits the best vegetarian meal delivery companies can provide its customers – some, like saving money, will surprise.
If you don’t have a special dietary requirement, meal delivery services are still a fantastic option for many people for many reasons. Read which ones we rate as the best.
The Best Vegetarian Meal Delivery Service Providers
Here we list the top three best vegetarian meal delivery companies and kits. We demonstrate that vegetarian meal delivery plans are a very realistic proposition for those who love to eat and eat well.
#1 Sun Basket
This is one of the best meal delivery services when it comes to those wanting to stick to a vegetarian diet. There are so many exciting and exotic recipes on offer that even your friends will be impressed when you call them over for dinner. On top of that, all of the ingredients are organic.
- How Does It Work? You can sign up for the Classic Menu, which allows you to choose from 18 recipes on a weekly basis for either two or four people and will ensure you get three recipes delivered weekly. The vegetarian option is also possible with the Family Menu which caters to either two, three or four recipes for four people. You can choose from six recipes from that week which include dishes like Tokyo fried rice with togarashi edamame and corn, fresh pappardelle with wilted greens, hazelnuts and ricotta salata or chilaquiles verdes with soft-scrambled eggs, avocado, and queso fresco.
- What Else Do I Need To Know? Dinner is not the only dish on the menu. You also have breakfast items, salads, snacks, soups, broths, and sauces on offer. This is a meal delivery option for people looking to broaden their horizons in the kitchen. By no means will you find traditional recipes here, but rather new and exciting ways to adhere to a vegetarian lifestyle.
- What Other Benefits Does Sun Basket Have? One of the best things that Sun Basket offers is the choice to select the day your meals arrive. Not only do you have the choice of a couple of weekdays (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday), but you can also opt to have your box delivered on Sunday. This is perfect for people spending the whole day in an office and worried about their food staying on their front porch for eight hours.
Sun Basket try their best to work with seasonal produce and this is another reason as to why we love this meal delivery service. Working in cooperation with the best ranchers, fishermen, and farmers in the country, Sun Basket offers a meal delivery solution whilst treating the planet with respect.
Sun Basket is an optimal choice to bring excitement into your daily dishes while looking after the environment.
Cost: From $10.99 per serving
For more information on Sun Basket read our extensive Sun Basket review.
Creative recipes In combination with organic produce is a difficult combination to beat.
This simple meal delivery service will offer vegetarians pre-made, healthy meals delivered straight to your door. With meals starting at just $6 you can enjoy breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as snacks every day each week. There are over a hundred dishes to choose from for those individuals that lead a busy life and don’t have spare time to head to the store for grocery shopping.
- How Does it Work? When you sign up you will be asked the necessary information needed to create an account. As soon as your account has been created you will need to enter an email address as well as a password to log in. The meals are separated in categories where you can select your desired meals with ease. When your order has been placed, they will be prepared by professional chefs and delivered via FedEx Ground. The meals are flash-frozen and will arrive at your door within two to five days. All you need to do is store them in your freezer and take them out 24 hours prior to heating which should take around five or six minutes.
- What Else Do I Need To Know? There is a support page on the website with an FAQ section which is full of information. You can also get in touch via email or phone, or even contact the support team who are on call until around 1 am EST every evening.
- What Other Benefits Does BalanceMD have? The great thing about BalanceMD is that there are fantastic snacks on offer like crackers, jerky, chips, protein shakes, cookies, and ice cream. As it states on their website, there are many positive aspects to order your vegetarian meals from BalanceMD.
“There are many reasons to go meat-free – whether your doctor has recommended more plant-based meals as a part of your overall diet, it’s to help the environment, or improve your health. The key is to be aware of what you are eating and how each food type contributes to your overall health. Regardless of your motivations; whether it is weight loss or be in better health; it’s important to make an informed approach to plant-based eating to make sure it’s the right diet for you. Balance ensures you enjoy great-tasting meals without the hassle – we do the work for you- no planning, shopping, cooking, or messy dishes to clean.”
Cost: From $6 per meal.
For more information on BalanceMD read our extensive BalanceMD review.
Diet-to-go offers customers the choice between four meal plans, one of them being vegetarian. Preparing over 40,000 meals on a weekly basis for delivery, this is one of the meal delivery programs that also offers a local pickup service in some parts of the US including Baltimore, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Washington D.C., and others.
- How Does it Work? As soon as you have chosen your meal plan, you can select whether you would like your dishes to be delivered with a five-week rotation or have your own customized diet plan which you can complete on the website. The meals will arrive at your door in plastic trays that are ready to heat and you’re set to eat.
- What Else Do I Need To Know? This meal plan service fundamentally focuses on portion control so that you can lose that extra weight that may have accumulated. Within the first week, users will be consuming around 1,000 calories per day, whilst already within the second-week women will be taking in around 1,200 and men will be allowed 1,600 calories daily.
- What Other Benefits Does Diet-to-go have? The great thing about this meal delivery service is that you can choose to have as many as 21 weekly meals sent to your door which means there is no prepping or cooking involved for you at all. You just need to heat your meal and enjoy.
These meals are prepared in kitchens that are often inspected by government agencies and follow nutritional guidelines that are issued by the American Diabetes Association, American Cancer Society as well as the American Heart Association.
Cost: Vegetarian options start around $8.57.
For more information on Diet-to-go read our extensive Diet-to-go Review.
You don’t have to bend over backwards searching for new and exciting ways to implement your vegetarian lifestyle. With Purple Carrot you can choose from six weekly recipes that are easy to cook and, best of all, they’re delicious. Simply select the two or six serving plan and get weekly deliveries of fresh produce to your door. Your account on their website is easy to navigate and you will have no problem skipping weeks or even cancelling your subscription.
- How Does It Work? Purple Carrot makes sure that you receive perfectly portioned ingredients which minimizes waste together with simple to read and follow recipes. Additionally, on their website, you can find how-to videos that will improve your skills in the kitchen. They are a strictly plant-based meal company, so selecting a vegetarian diet won’t be necessary.
- What Else Do I Need To Know? If you are just starting to discover the benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle, but don’t have the time for elaborate meals you can choose from their Quick and Easy meals that will take around half an hour to prepare. Alternatively, if you want to impress friends and family with your vegetarian cuisine skills, you can, by choosing the Chef’s Choice menu. This option will equip you with mouthwatering ingredients and recipes that are created by professional chefs.
- What Other Benefits Does Purple Carrot Have? You don’t have to limit yourself to dinner recipes only, instead, you can order extras including fun breakfast and lunch menus. Recipes are available online should you lose your instructions. You can check out the large selection of recipes on their website, finding options based on ingredients, dish types, cuisine types, dietary concerns and many more.
An extra benefit for those looking to get a taste of Purple Carrot is that you receive a generous 20% discount. All you have to do is sign up with an email address on their website.
Purple Carrot is one of the best vegetarian meal delivery services because they make it their business to deliver the best plant-based recipes with fresh ingredients to your door weekly.
Cost: from $7.99 per serving.
For more information on Purple Carrot read our extensive Purple Carrot review.
If you feel stuck in your daily meal routine and want to feel excited about food again, Splendid Spoon might just be the answer. This plant-based meal program offers ready-to-eat meals that are pre-portioned. All of the meals are vegan, GMO-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and are low in sodium and sugar so you won’t have to worry about what you’re putting into your body.
- How Does it Work? Splendid Spoons divides its offer into smoothies and bowls. This means you can choose from smoothies, soups, grain bowls, and light soups. Choose from three menus that can be delivered to you on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis. Lunch, the most basic plans on offer will see you with five ready-to-eat soups delivered to your home. If you’re always in a rush in the morning you can choose the Breakfast and Lunch option which will ensure five soups and five smoothies are ready to shoot out the door.
- What Else Do I Need to Know? Unlike other meal delivery services which primarily cater to dinners, Splendid Spoon covers your breakfast and lunch meals, as the most important meals of the day. The smoothies normally contain fruit as well as a protein-rich ingredient like hemp protein, almond butter, pea powder, or chia seeds. This is so it keeps you going until lunchtime. Each bottle also has the ingredients list placed on the front of the bottle so you know what you’re consuming.
- What Other Benefits Does Splendid Spoon Have? While Splendid Spoon wasn’t designed for weight loss, nor does it claim to have weight loss goals, many customers have reported significant weight loss results with this program.
- Breakfast $65 ($13 per meal)
- Breakfast + Lunch $95 ($9.50 per meal)
- Breakfast + Lunch + Reset $135 ($9.00 per meal)
For more information on Splendid Spoon read our Splendid Spoon review.
#6 Green Chef
Green Chef is one of the best vegetarian meal delivery services as it recognizes that such a huge portion of the population has specific dietary needs, like vegetarians. In fact, it actually caters successfully to a whole host of other diets too, but that does not mean it has not spent the time creating a large number of recipes with veggies in mind.
- How Does It Work? From the outset, customers choose a plan that’s right for them. For those who don’t eat meat, they can pick vegetarian though there are other options available too that may work like pescatarian. From there, Green Chef then delivers its customers a box of ingredients every week or every two or four weeks depending on the customer’s requirements. There’s no minimum commitment so customers can skip orders should they want. This flexibility is also built into the subscription plan itself which is quick and easy to change or cancel should a customer need or want. Inside each box are organic ingredients that are prepped and pre-measured. Some sauces are pre-made too as are marinades and spice blends. Recipe cards are also included and everything is boxed up in a container that keeps ingredients cool.
- What Else Do I Need To Know? For those with veggie requirements, this is one of the best vegetarian meal delivery services out there. Not only are vegetables organic, but the company also ensures that there is more than just a salad to prepare at each meal time. Their recipes are one of the most creative out there yet are easy to follow with step by step photos included on recipe cards.
- What Other Benefits Do Green Chef have? Green Chef is green in more ways than one. Not only does it provide brilliant vegetarian recipes to its customers, it also provides sustainably sourced ingredients to make those very recipes with. If you are concerned about your effect on the environment then this is simply the best vegetarian meal delivery company for you.
Lastly, what we loved about Green Chef, regardless of dietary requirement, was the fact that the portion sizes that the recipes tend to produce are big enough to provide an extra serving at the end of the meal. This is something that most meal delivery services do not do as a way to cut waste but also to increase their revenue too.
Green Chef is a fantastic option for those in need of one of the best vegetarian meal delivery services due to its extensive range of recipes that will please even the pickiest of eaters.
Cost: From $11.99 per serving
This meal-delivery service has been around for decades and has proven to be one of the best weight loss programs of all. Although Nutrisystem was only available for meat-eaters for many years, Nutrisystem now caters to vegetarians too. Focusing on a nutritionally balanced diet with the right mix of protein, vitamins, and fiber you will also have unlimited access to dietitians and weight loss counselors. There are no false promises with Nutrisystem, but sticking to the diet, eating around six small vegetarian meals and snacks daily will mean you will lose one to two pounds per week.
- How Does it Work? Nutrisystem works by sending you regular shipments of low-carb meals that are prepared and portioned to suit your dietary needs. They are high in protein and low in complex carbohydrates. The first week will kickstart your diet and will have both men and women taking in 1,000 calories per day, while the second week will allow for men to have around 1,500 calories per day and females will be able to consume around 1,200 calories. These will be made up of 50% of carbohydrates, 25% from protein, and 25% from fats.
- What Else Do I Need To Know? The people behind Nutrisystem has been helping people lose weight for about 45 years. Helping millions of people achieve their weight loss goals, you can count on Nutrisystem to provide you with online support services that include tracking facilities so you can always keep count of your daily calorie intake.
- What Other Benefits Does Nutrisystem have? There is a fantastic mobile app that is available for both Android and iOS devices. You will have the entire Nutrisystem entree database with a barcode scanner for tracking purposes, one-touch tracking, weekly planner, smart reminders, NuMi challenges, news feed, shopping list, photos as well as tips, tricks and inspirational articles with fresh content being added daily.
What we love about Nutrisystem is that there are around 90 vegetarian to choose from including delicious breakfast items such as Buttermilk Waffles and Cherry Cheese Rolls whilst lunch has things like Egg White Spinach Crepe and Four Cheese Melt. Dinner menus offer delicious meals like Stuffed Shells, Vegetable Lasagna and Mushroom Risotto on the vegetarian menu. Another favorite aspect is that Nutrisystem believes in snacking. Bite down on a lemon zest cake, ice cream sandwich, chocolate cashew bar as well as honey mustard pretzel bits.
Cost: You can spend as little as $8.39 per day. Be mindful that there are always coupons available online which will discount the price even further.
For more information on Nutrisystem read our Nutrisystem review.
If you want a weight loss program that adheres to a vegetarian diet, you’ve come to the right place. BistroMD delivers great tasting vegetarian weight loss meals directly to your door that are rich in fiber and antioxidants and are controlled for saturated fats and cholesterol. This is the only weight loss plan that has been crafted based on science by a weight physician.
- How Does it Work? To get things started just head over to the BistroMD website and choose your weight loss plan. You will then have to enter your delivery details as well as your payment information and just wait around five business days for your delivery box to arrive. Then, all you need to do is store them, heat them up when needed and enjoy. You will have to allow each meal to thaw 24 hours before eating it. When you sign up with the vegetarian or any of the other programs you will have access to things like support from registered dietitians as well as fitness experts.
- What Else Do I Need To Know? You can easily manage your selected program at mybistroMD.com and skip a week if you like, as well as set preferences or even schedule consultations with expert dietitians.
- What Other Benefits Does BistroMD Have? You can choose from over 150 fantastic meals on a weekly basis that are all ready to eat after heating for around five minutes. These meals have been carefully crafted by medical experts and professional chefs. If you have no time to make daily or weekly grocery shop trips then you can get as many as 21 meals delivered per week, for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
This is one of the best choices for vegetarian meal kits because it will help you lose weight without you even noticing. There is also a huge selection of meals that you can choose from and your meals are ready within just a few minutes. Check out the website for savings of over $50.
Cost: $5.99 to $13.99 per meal.
For more information on BistroMD read our extensive BistroMD review.
The Benefits of Using a Vegetarian Meal Delivery Service
Most people start using a Vegetarian meal delivery service to save time. This is because having a vegetarian meal kit delivered to your door each and every week stops you from having to visit the grocery store as well as preparation times being cut in half. However, there’s more to the best vegetarian meal delivery services than immediately meets the eye. In fact, customers often see the following benefits too:
- Save Money – It may not seem it at first, given that the cost per serving can seem quite steep when first started, but the best vegetarian meal delivery services will actually end up saving its customers money. There are a couple of reasons for this. First off, the kits totally reduce waste. You only ever use what you need and what you are sent. The bi-product of this is that you don’t throw out food that you have paid for that you don’t or cannot eat due to them going bad. Secondly, by stopping us from going to the supermarket, we end up not buying the goods that we never needed in the first place.
- Learn New Recipes – Meal delivery services are great at either teaching an old dog new tricks or teaching a kitchen novice many different recipes. It can be a fantastic way of trying out new and wonderful techniques of cooking that can produce fantastic results. So often, because it is easier, we revert to cooking a small selection of meals each week, a meal delivery kit stops this from happening. In fact, it makes life so much easier in the process too.
- Vary Your Diet – A common misconception about vegetarians is that they have a healthy diet. While vegetables are undoubtedly good for you, it doesn’t necessarily follow that all a vegetarian eats is a plate of crudites. In fact, they are more likely to reach into the cookie tin as meals that are low in protein (which a vegetarian meal so often is) do not sustain our hunger as much. With one of the best vegetarian delivery services above, customers not only will have a varied diet due to the large selection of recipes on offer, but they will also have a diet that meets their nutritional requirements as well.
The Bottom Line
Choosing a meal delivery service when you are vegetarian can be an excellent idea. Not only does it mean that a company takes care of doing all your grocery shopping for you, as well as doing a large amount of your food preparation, you also know that you are going to be eating food that provides you with everything your body needs. The best vegetarian meal delivery services introduce well-balanced recipes into a customer’s lives as well as satiating their appetite and taste buds.
Plus, they more often than not do so at a price that is not only affordable but at a price that will end up saving its customers money. In addition to this is the added bonus that meal delivery services save people time by delivering ingredients to a customer’s door so that they do not have to traipse around a grocery store looking for particular ingredients.