Are you going overseas on vacation or even for a longer period of time? We bet you’re wondering how to get the American version of Netflix whenever you want, wherever you want. You might be shocked to find out that Netflix will not offer you the same viewing comforts that you find at home.
Don’t worry though, there is a solution and we have it all worked out for you. A Netflix VPN can hide your location and make Netflix think that you are still located in the US. This way, you will be able to access all of your favorite content from anywhere in the world.
To unblock US Netflix we recommend CyberGhost its the best VPN for streaming that lets you access Netflix from anywhere on the globe.
Why Can’t I Access Netflix Abroad
Unfortunately, Netflix’s magical library of streaming goodness is only available to those residing in the United States.
Because of each country’s copyright laws and licensing restrictions, some locations do not allow Netflix at all, and others have a completely different catalogue available for viewers.
A Netflix VPN will allow you to mask your location and watch US Netflix in Europe, or anywhere else for that matter, by hiding your IP address.
Did you know:
- If you live outside the US, you will receive less content.
- If you travel, your access will change depending on the country you’re in.
- Even if you have a US subscription, you will lose access to numerous US Netflix shows when you leave the country.
- It also blocks you from watching foreign films.
With many people turning to great VPNs as a solution to this problem, the US government and Netflix are cracking down on people trying to access the greatest Netflix catalog in the world.
As promised, we have compiled a couple of the best VPN servers that will not let you down.
Best Netflix VPNs (That still work)
CyberGhost is our top spot when it comes to selecting the best VPN for streaming Netflix, there are some features that make this VPN provider stand out from the crowd. You can count on the fact that you will automatically be connected to the best servers around and the video streaming speeds have surprised many so far.
One of the greatest offers which this VPN service provides is the kill switch which will cut your internet ties if your VPN fails. This is particularly important for people accessing American Netflix from countries with strict streaming laws and regulations.
To be fair, CyberGhost has had issues with connecting to Netflix in the past, but being huge on transparency, they let their customers know they were not able to give them results at that particular time and that they were doing the best they could in fixing their problem. This won over many potential customers.
Choose CyberGhost for:
- Great speeds up to 230 Mbps
- Netflix access
- Additional security features
- Live chat support from 9am – 5pm
- No email required
- Great for first time users
- $2.75 per month, for 3 yr subscription
- $3.79 per month, for 2 yr subscription
- $4.99 per month, for 1 yr subscription
- $11.99 per month, for a monthly subscription
- 30-day money-back guarantee
For more information on CyberGhost VPN features, read our extensive CyberGhost VPN review.
Another favorite when it comes to Netflix viewing all over the globe, NordVPN brings their A-game by having over 400 servers right just in the United States. Because this company is based in Panama, they don’t have to keep any data logs. But that is just where their huge number of privacy features start.
NordVPN gives you access to a double VPN which means your traffic will get diverted through two servers and you also have Tor support as well as a kill switch option. Also, if you decide to sign up with their longest plan, it actually turns out to be the cheapest out there.
Choose NordVPN for:
- 1500+ servers
- Impressive security measures
- Strict zero-logging policy
- Netflix access
- Performance speeds of up to 400Mbps
- 24 hour live chat customer service
- $11.95 per month
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Save 52% with an annual subscription
For more information on NordVPN features, read our extensive NordVPN review.
When it comes to accessing Netflix, as well as providing you with other fantastic VPN services, ExpressVPN is truly the a great option. They are relentless in finding new ways to dodge Netflix blocks and are dead set on finding new ways to restore customer access to the streaming platform.
Although there is no perfect VPN provider out there, ExpressVPN comes as close as possible.
Choose ExpressVPN for:
- Netflix access
- An easy setup
- Consistently fast streaming speeds
- Ping times that are minimally affected
- ExpressVPN works extremely well in high censorship countries
- Military grade encryption
- Large international server network
- 30-Day money back guarantee
- Outstanding customer service
- 99% uptime guarantee
- $12.95 a month
- $9.99 a month for a six-month plan
- $6.67 a month for a 15-month plan
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Save 49% with an annual subscription – plus, enjoy three free months and an extended money-back period of 45 days.
For more information on ExpressVPN features, read our extensive ExpressVPN review.
How To Select a Reliable VPN for Netflix
Getting your hands on a VPN that works with Netflix is admittedly harder than ever before, but not at all impossible. With more users gravitating to VPNs, Netflix have tried to crack down on VPN users all over the globe.
A great VPN service provider will give you the following:
- Vast Server Network – To watch US Netflix, your provider needs numerous US servers. International server bases are also useful if you enjoy foreign films. The more servers available, the less of a chance there is for you to be ‘maxed out’.
- No Bandwidth Caps – The best VPN option for you is the one that does not limit your bandwidth traffic every month.
- Reliable Connection – Downtime will cut out your stream and also leave your data visible.
- Masking Features – As Netflix continues to find ways to identify VPN traffic, selecting a provider with dedicated features to mask the data packets is essential.
- No traffic logging – You want to avoid the possibility of any third parties trying to spy on you. This option will ensure you leave no breadcrumbs behind as you surf the net.
- Netflix Access – Not all VPNs are created equally. At the time of writing, all our top VPNs were able to access and stream US Netflix shows from overseas.
- Customer Commitment – While some VPN providers immediately succumbed to the Netflix VPN ban, others worked tirelessly to bypass the problem. These companies have the best chance of promising access indefinitely.
- Free Trial/Money back-Guarantee – To confirm your chosen VPN has Netflix capabilities, trial periods are excellent, as you can experiment with no financial commitment.
|VPN Client||# Server Locations (Countries)||# of Servers||As low as|
|CyberGhost||60||+2800||$2.75 / mo||Get Now|
|ExpressVPN||94||+2000||$6.67 / mo||Get Now|
|NordVPN||62||+4800||$2.75 / mo||Get Now|
Which VPNs Won’t Unblock US Netflix?
Unfortunately some VPN services are unable to guarantee your Netflix viewing. We don’t want to name and shame, but there are a few providers that have found the multinational company too strong for their internal development team.
The following might be strong in their VPN game for other features, but when you want to use Netflix with VPN, it might be a good idea to steer clear of:
- Private Internet Access (PIA)
Can I Use a Free VPN?
Technically, the answer to this question is yes. But in our opinion, run! Run as fast as your legs will take you because using a free VPN will most probably do you more harm than good. You know the saying you get what you pay for? Well, this is precisely what that figure of speech is referring to.
Here are a couple of reasons why you should not go down this road:
Tracking and Selling Your Data
We all know that VPNs are supposed to keep you safe when you’re surfing the net, but one of the biggest problems with using a free VPN is that these services will stop ISPs and sell your data to third parties for a profit.
Basically what you have don’t is changed one tracker for another. A recent study has shown that of 283 free VPNs, 75% of them used some form of tracking.
Lack of Regulation
Free VPNs that have originated in places with weak security spots like China and Russia should be avoided like the plague. Chances are they are tracking your data and using it for corrupt objectives.
IP Address Leaks
A great, and usually paid VPN is like a secret tunnel. It will protect your IP address from being shown to third parties. Free VPNs, however, do not have the same facilities or the operating teams to keep them as secure, meaning these secret tunnels are full of holes.
This makes your IP address not only visible, but can be used by other users to access data. These are called ‘traffic leaks’ and have occurred with paid VPNs, however the chance of this happening today is very rare.
Setup and Use
How to Use Netflix With a VPN
Setting up a VPN to unblock US Netflix is easy.
First, choose which VPN that works with Netflix that you’d like to use, simply sign up and create your login details.
- Follow all instructions to download the VPN software and install it.
- Once installed, choose a location in the US – a ‘server’ – you’d like to connect to.
- Connect to the server – your IP address now puts you in the right country for your Netflix account.
- Now browse Netflix to your heart’s content.
How to set-up a VPN on your smartphone
Although some slight details may vary from service to service, most VPNs have a similar set up when it comes to your mobile phone device.
- Log in to your account on the chosen website and select the kind of mobile device you will be using.
- Get your password from that site to launch the VPN on your smartphone
- Use the selected VPN app on your smartphone and enter your email and unique password from the account page
- Follow set-up prompts to add configurations
- Stream away to your heart’s content
How to Double-check if your VPN is Secure
Getting caught using a VPN can be a punishable offense, especially in countries like China, North Korea and Iran which have incredibly strict laws when it comes to the internet.
In saying that, there is a way in which you can make sure that your IP address is hidden from prying eyes. Just follow these simple steps:
- Go to www.whatismyip.network before you hook up to your VPN and note your IP address
- Connect to your VPN server and write down your IP address again
- Go to www.whatismyip.network once more and check your IP address (it should be different from the initial one)
How to Pay for your VPN
You may have heard that there are free VPNs available out there, however a paid version is the way to go.
As they say, you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to watching American Netflix abroad. You can pay for your VPN access with a credit card, PayPal or Bitcoin as well as many other options.
Choosing to Netflix and Chill Overseas
When going overseas it is understandable that you want some of the comforts of home that you have become accustomed to. This is why we love to keep track of our favorite shows and movies, it gives us a sense of routine and comfort, even if we aren’t at home.
Netflix is constantly fighting VPN services around the world to contain their large catalog within US borders, but choosing the right VPN service provider will mean all the difference when it comes to home comforts.