The US Netflix library is one of the most coveted content catalogs in the world. With 1,157 TV shows and 4,593 movies, it offers double the entertainment of countries like Australia, the UK, Mexico and most of Europe! With so many great series only available for US subscribers, it’s no surprise that media lovers worldwide are fighting for a way to get access.
Unfortunately, while the disparity in available content is clearly unfair, bypassing geo-blocks could end in trouble. Accessing foreign content catalogs officially counts as copyright infringement. In the US, the government is continually trying to crack down on piracy, and Netflix is playing an active role in suppressing subverters.
However, all hope is not lost! The internet community has always been a step ahead of unjust online restrictions, and have already provided a solution. If you want to know how to get American Netflix without putting yourself at risk of prosecution, we’ve compiled a comprehensive guide to transform your entertainment experience forever!
Why are Netflix Libraries Across the Globe Different?
The main problem with Netflix catalogs is that licensing limitations throttle them. When a producer creates a film or show,copyright law dictates they hold the rights to the use and distribution of their work. This means they can choose the most profitable avenue for release in each country. In some parts of this world, this is Netflix; in others, it may be local or niche broadcasting stations. Further than this, some licenses even restrict where the media can be streamed, which is why certain countries have significantly less Netflix content.
These limitations affect users in different ways:
- If you live outside the US, you will receive less content.
- If you travel, your access will change depending on the country you’re in.
- Even if you have a US subscription, you will lose access to numerous shows when you leave the country.
- It also restricts your ability to watch foreign films.
Fortunately, all these issues can be resolved with one additional piece of software.
Get a VPN to Watch Netflix US Abroad
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) are already used globally to take back control of our online experience. The software has many purposes, including bypassing geo-blocks and securing your data from potential prying eyes. Once you connect a VPN client, it re-routes your traffic through a secondary server, assigning you a new IP address.
Websites, like Netflix, use these codes to determine your location. By selecting a server that is based abroad, you can fool the algorithm into thinking you’re in that country. This trick can grant you access to any Netflix catalog in the world.
VPNs are the most popular Netflix proxy, as re-assigning your IP address is not the only benefit. There are numerous other security precautions to conceal your identity.
- Shared Servers mean the connection can never be linked to one person.
- Sophisticated Encryption of the initial data tunnel – between your computer and the VPN server – makes your online activity invisible.
- Complex Protocols work to overcome specific blocks and security holes.
Unfortunately, it’s not enough to know how to use Netflix with a VPN, as not all providers are created equal. As Netflix continues to crack down on proxy service, only the best VPN clients can guarantee access.
The Best VPNs to Access US Netflix from Anywhere
Finding a VPN that works with Netflix has become significantly harder in recent years. As more people gravitate to the software, it’s no longer enough to find a cheap provider and watch with ease. Several elements determine whether a VPN provider is genuinely Netflix-capable.
- Reliable Connection. Downtime will cut out your stream and also leave your data visible.
- Vast Server Network. To watch US Netflix, your provider needs numerous US servers. International server bases are also useful if you enjoy foreign films.
- Masking Features. As Netflix continues to find ways to identify VPN traffic, choosing a provider with dedicated features to mask the data packets is essential.
- Netflix Access. At the time of writing, all our top VPNs were able to access and stream US Netflix shows from overseas.
- Customer Commitment. While some VPN providers immediately succumbed to the Netflix VPN ban, others worked tirelessly to bypass the problem. These companies have the best chance of promising access indefinitely.
- Free Trial/Moneyback-Guarantee. To confirm your chosen VPN has Netflix capabilities, trial periods are excellent, as you can experiment with no financial commitment.
#1 ExpressVPN – The Ultra Fast VPN Service
ExpressVPN ranked as the best VPN for Netflix due to its slick service and ongoing ability to dodge the blocks. As a popular provider, it was targeted early on but has continuously found ways to restore customer access. We found a few reports of ExpressVPN and Netflix not working, but our ongoing tests showed no continuous problems.
Additional features: It has a vast server network, in 94 countries, so you can watch media from across the globe. In our speed tests, ExpressVPN was one of the fastest, and their impressive uptime guarantee promises uninterrupted streaming.
- Large International Server Network
- Consistently Fast Speeds
- 99% Uptime Guarantee
- Netflix Access
- Responsive Customer Service
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- $12.95 a month
- Save 49% with an annual subscription – plus, enjoy three free months and an extended money-back period of 45 days.
For more information on ExpressVPN features, read our extensive ExpressVPN review.
#2 VyprVPN – Value for Money
VyprVPN is another great VPN to watch Netflix, due to its impressive 4k stream capabilities. Although there are fewer server locations than ExpressVPN, they still have over 200,000 IPs – so there’s no shortage! VyprVPN excelled when it comes to bypassing the Netflix blocks.
VyprDNS is an additional Smart DNS feature, and their Chameleon technology successfully disguises your traffic. Unfortunately, these extra features are only available on the premium subscription.
- 4k Streaming Capacity
- Sufficient Server Network
- Instant Customer Support
- Netflix Access
- Advanced Masking Technology
- $5 per month
- $6.67pm for Premium service
- 3-day free trial
For more information on VyprVPN features, read our extensive VyprVPN review.
#3 NordVPN – Optimal Speed and Security Mix
NordVPN is one of the most privacy-conscious providers we tested. Based in Panama, they are not required to keep any data logs, and they boast a plethora of additional features. The Double VPN diverts your traffic via two servers, and there’s also Tor support. The kill switch and auto-connect ensure you are never online without VPN protection.
Additional features: NordVPN also offers impressive optimized servers; you can choose the streaming option for the best connection available. It’s still possible to watch American Netflix through manual config. However, you may have to search for the faster servers, as speeds varied during out tests.
- 1500+ Servers
- Good Speeds
- Optimized Connections
- Impressive Additional Security Features
- Strict Zero-Logging
- Netflix Access
- $11.95 per month
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Save 52% with an annual subscription
For more information on NordVPN features, read our extensive NordVPN review.
#4 IPVanish – Fair Speed for a Fair Price
Although IPVanish is not the best Netflix VPN, it still has some worthy features. The speeds are adequate for streaming, and you can use their dedicated servers to get the best connection automatically. The VPN client comes with a kill switch, to cut your internet if the VPN fails.
Additional Features: They also offer DNS protection, which some users have found key in bypassing the Netflix ban. If you are still having trouble gaining access, their live chat feature showed almost instant response times. However, its only open during working hours.
- Sufficient Speeds
- Dedicated Streaming Servers
- Additional Security Features
- Netflix Access
- Live Chat Support 9am-5pm
$10.00 per month
$6.49 with an annual subscription
7-day money-back guarantee
For more information on IPVanish features, read our extensive IPVanish review.
#5 Windscribe – Good VPN With A Free Option
Windscribe is a great backup VPN option to access Netflix. It is incredibly well-reviewed in the app store and showed proficient speeds and reliability during out tests. If you’re looking for a budget option, the unlimited device connections make it an excellent package to split with friends. Windscribe also offers a free version to trial, but it does not have all the features.
- Relatively Good Speeds
- Proficient Server Network
- Unlimited Device Connections
- Netflix Access
- Free Trial Subscription
Free limited subscription
$9.00 per month
$4.08 with an annual subscription
For more information on Windscribe features, read our extensive Windscribe review.
How Does Netflix Block VPNs
The Netflix VPN ban was announced in 2016 and has caused havoc for users ever since. The main problem is that no-one explicitly knows how Netflix in enforcing the blocks, so VPN providers and customers must constantly experiment to stay ahead of the game.
The following are typical; traffic-filtering tactics, which are reportedly utilized in the Netflix VPN block.
- Specific IP Blocks: Netflix can block known VPN servers and identify shared IP addresses.
- Port Blocks: As VPN protocols use specific ports, it’s possible to install a firewall to block those pathways.
- Deep Packet Inspections (DPI): DPI filters can assess data packet headers to determine whether a VPN protocol has been used.
Netflix Proxy Error – What is it and How You Can Bypass it
As Netflix employs increasingly sophisticated techniques to ban proxy devices, your VPN will have to bypass several checkpoints before you can start streaming. Many proxy providers can secure access to the US catalog for browsing. However, when you try to play a show or movie not authorized for your country, you will see the notorious proxy error message.
This warning appears if a second round of checks on your traffic reveals that you are hiding your location. While you can still access media that is also in your local catalog, all the extra shows remain blocked.
To get past this secondary filter, try these tactics:
- Change Your Server. Some providers have dedicated servers for streaming and Netflix. You may have to try a few before you find success.
- Choose a Different Port. OpenVPN commonly uses 1194 TCP/UDP; try switching to another port for a different type of encryption. For example, HTTPS uses 443 TCP/UDP
- Contact Customer Support. If neither of the above solutions prove fruitful, contact your provider to see if they have further suggestions.
- Try a New Provider. Experiment with different VPN clients by taking advantage of the free trial or money-back guarantee.
VPNs that Don’t Unblock Netflix
Countless providers have already waved their white flags when it comes to the Netflix VPN ban. Although some companies tried to fight, many found the multinational corporation was too strong for their internal development team. If you’re experimenting with VPNs for Netflix, the following services are not even worth testing:
- Private Internet Access (PIA)
Can US Armed Forces Stationed Overseas Watch US Netflix?
All across the globe, brave US citizens and their families are stationed. As an acknowledgment of their service, Netflix has removed its geo-blocking restrictions from US Army bases. However, this gesture failed to take into consideration the serving members who have chosen – for whatever reason – to live outside of the stations themselves.
Similarly, since the implication of the VPN ban, an increasing number of military families have reported not being able to access the service at home. These kinks mean that many are once again returning to using personal VPNs. Although Netflix has publicly stated it will overlook the use of proxy software for soldiers overseas, if you live outside of an official station then there’s no way to prove your affiliation.
Can I Stream Netflix with Tor?
Tor (The Onion Router) works similarly to VPNs in some ways. Both route your traffic through alternative servers to hide your original identity. However, instead of just one diversion, Tor splits your traffic over a vast number of servers all around the world. These connection points are voluntary, so enjoy no commercial investment. Alongside this, the complexity of the protocol has led to ongoing issues with speed.
While some users have found it possible to access Netflix with Tor, the pressure it puts on the servers results in a severe slow-down for other users. Due to the open and co-operative nature of Tor, most sources dissuade you from using it as a Netflix proxy for the sake of the community.
More often than not, Tor is not fast enough to stream anyway, establishing a VPN as the superior tool to unblock US Netflix.
Which is Better – SmartDNS or VPN?
As Netflix targets VPNs, more users are opting to explore SmartDNS options. While both tactics allow you to gain access to blocked content, their service has some significant differences.
- VPNs work by accessing an alternative server in the US, changing your IP address and encrypting your data. While it does slow the connection somewhat, it offers invaluable security.
- Smart DNS does not change your IP or use any encryption. Instead, when you send a DNS request to Netflix, your local server will contact a DNS server in America, before accessing the streaming site. Your traffic then appears to be coming from the US.
Although SmartDNS may seem like a simpler solution, the lack of additional security leaves your identity visible. If you are planning to infringe copyright restrictions, then this added protection is essential to keep your activity private.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Access US Netflix?
It may seem sensible to opt for a free VPN for Netflix, but the likelihood of finding a service that works is low. Free providers do not have the finances to invest in ongoing development to bypass the increasingly complicated blocks. If you do manage to stream, the limited bandwidth and lower speeds make for a frustrating viewing experience. Plus, the connection is more likely to drop with free VPNs, so the show will constantly be interrupted.
There have also been reports of free VPN providers selling the connection-logs of their customer to generate more revenue. If you’re conscious of your privacy, the risk is not worth taking.
Choose a VPN and Watch US Netflix Abroad
It’s still possible to find a VPN to access US Netflix, even with the increasing blocks. The streaming service will never impose a universal ban, so users must simply continue to roll with the punches.
Once you know how to use Netflix with VPN, it’s merely a case of finding the best provider for you!
We recommend ExpressVPN as the best VPN to unblock US Netflix, due to its high-quality service and longevity.